Monday, July 30, 2012

What If

What if you find a cockroach or a fly in your food while you are eating?
Will you still continue to eat?
I know its gross and yack's, But it is a reality check, considering we do not have the privilege of dining at a 5* at all available and possible instances.
It can happen to anyone specially if you were a regular diner at the street side stalls, the Chinese coffee shops, the normal restaurants...
I know its not hygienic at all but sometimes, that's the common site we see around town, specially in KL.
Well, then again it doesn't mean that its dirty and the food is unhealthy.
Its just sometimes the real deal comes from such places and the package is pretty good.

Coming back to my question, would you or would you not eat your food if you find some unwanted visitors in it.
Well it happened to me, last week during lunch.
In fact it has happened on many occasion and I just never bothered much to make fuss about it.
My colleagues and I dropped by to this Chinese coffee shop @ hawker food restaurant.(whatever you call it).
We drove there, as we do not have much choices inside our office premises.
I ordered my favorite, Seafood Noodles soup. The only food I like to eat there.
Its prepared by this old Chinese man, it's an odd feeling I have when I see him. Am not sure if its pity, sympathy or what? Because I feel, he seems a bit too old to work and yet he cooks the food and serve it everyday. And he does it pretty well too.
Its interesting to see him prepare the food at his own rhythm.
My food arrived after 10min, I quickly scooped spoonful and started indulging. half way thru I realized there was a dead fly inside my food.
I was shocked and was pretty worried what if the food is contaminated with virus or something.
Then I looked up and my colleagues were enjoying it they meal with no issues.
I looked at the stall owner this old Chinese man, then I scooped the fly out of my bowl and put it in a dish beside my food plate.
I made sure no one saw what I did and I continued to eat.
I wasn't sure why I continued to eat but after we left the shop I started thinking it over again and realize, I was worried to make a fuss in front of people and was worried for the old Chinese man. Was thinking what will happen if I were to complaint, thus I refrain myself from doing it.

And I also thought of the possibility of me falling sick and the odds were low.
First because the fly would have been dead by the time it fell into the hot soup, 2nd the surrounding area of the restaurant is a pretty decent and clean housing area. Its very unlikely the fly was carrying any dirt in it.
Thus, I thought it would be slightly impossible for me to get contaminated with any virus and the worse thought was "I would just vomit and/or have fever"..that's what crossed my mind.
I was shocked with my nerve but guess what it worked and luck was on my side.
Its like more than a week now and there was no extraordinary situation within me.

I'm not sure if its the right thing but thus far, I've no issues. I know some people who are so paranoid over small issues and thinks of all the impossible things when this kind of things were to happen.
Well I can't help it but think otherwise.
On numerous occasions, I will also not hesitate to eat something that spilled on the table.



3 comments:

professional failure said...

I'd be disgusted a bit, but then again, our ancestors probably had that with their food, and besides, look at Bear Grylls.

R-A-J said...

Well, that's non-seafood ware at the price of seafood :)

Jokes apart, me thinks u're just a nice person that u thought so much fr nt puttin the old guy into trouble.. so cheers to u..just b proud of being the person tht u r :)

Shockgrubz said...

I read this while eating. If I were forced, I could survive on worms and grubs.